Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How to Cut Onions...without Crying!

When I look over a list of ingredients in a recipe and come across the line that reads "chopped onion," I cringe. Ever since I had my son (pregnancy changes everything), I've had an extremely difficult time chopping onions. And I'm not talking just a little tearing here and there. Full blown tears streaming and I have to walk away.


Yesterday, I decided to try a tip a friend shared with me.


I ran HOT water over a peeled onion for several minutes in my sink. Apparently, doing this gently blanches the onion and starts to inactivate the enzyme that makes us tear up. For the first time, I was able to cut an onion with no tears.



I let the hot water run over the onion about 5 minutes. Every now and again, I would feel a tear coming on, so I placed it back under the stream of hot water. This instantly took care of the problem.


Try it. You'll be surprised how easy it makes cooking. And you won't have to feel strange trying to chop onion through giant sunglasses anymore. :)



1 comment:

  1. Hello friend! I gave you a super sweet award.. check it out and pass it on. :)

    Award for you!

    Thanks for the tip too! I hate cutting onions!

    ReplyDelete