Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Southern Christmas

Have you ever seen a home that was decorated in a way that just "stuck" with you? A home that inspired you so much, you thought about it long after seeing it? Meet my latest obsession. Southern Living did a story on the Christmas decorations of homeowner Genia Gilchrist, owner of Gilchrist-Gilchrist in Tennessee. I fell in love with her style instantly.




Beautiful greenery greets visitors to her home. She put magnolia clippings and small spruce trees in white urns on either side of her porch. Sounds simple, yet the visual is stunning.



LOVE the mercury glass!




This is the picture that had me at the beginning. Three wreaths, clean, elegant, comfortable...sigh.


And this is where I started to lose control...I love this mantel!! (I really, really want to take our TV down from above the fireplace after seeing this. Maybe just for the holidays? Wonder what the husband would think of a giant mercury glass pine cone hanging from the front of the TV?)



And this was just the icing. I love the placement of this garland! The cabinet is simple and clean just like the garland. The blue of the cabinet is perfect with the green.



Gilchrist says she adds depth to the tree by lighting "every inch." I try to do this every year....after I have carefully "coated" about 1/4 of my tree with lights, I'm over it and start tossing them on. This year, this is going to be my motivation to keep stringing!



So simple, yet beautiful.










Every year, Gilchrist chooses a ribbon color as a theme for all her decorations (note the wreath and gift below.) I love this idea and will definitely be doing that! Now I need to think of what color to choose this year.....









Below: Gilchrist and her precious pup. Ms. Gilchrist, your home is lovely.







No comments:

Post a Comment